Friday, August 26, 2005

A God’s birthday & my Hindu neighbours are having a ball!

Yep! The birth of Krishna (literal meaning “black,”) a.k.a. “the dark one” who is also referred to by many other names was born some 17 centuries ago and is being celebrated here and among many Hindu believers.
What’s it to me? Well these ppl here are mostly Hindu! My neighbours most certainly are ‘cos they are having a ball of a time right now! Early morning the sounds of a local “baynparty” (brass-band) scared the silent crows feasting on the rooftops (there are plenty of them crows here I tell you.) This festival is called Krishna Janmastami and I have been warned not to buy banana today as everyone is going bananas taking banana to the gods. After all, Krishna is believed to be the eight reincarnation of the protector of Vishnu, the protector of human kind from evil! Sure, give some more banana kilos! I saw a few women (wearing red, they wear red whenever they have a reason to or even not to) with baskets (red baskets) of banana (“agu maaiyvi kaanaa, banana”! Apparently a huge mass of Krishna believers will be gathering today in this Valley for this sort of “pilgrimage.”
As far as I am concerned they can do that (yeah right! What else? I go and stop ppl from believing in what they believe! Duh! I don’t think so, not here!) But my problem is the band, the noise; they play in no particular scale, every instrument to itself, the tempo is more variable than the electric fluctuations here, the “tunes” come in sudden outburst as if they go to sleep while playing and then suddenly wake up, and moreover its bloody deafening LOUD! I passed by the place to have a closer look; there was a boy getting a haircut (or getting it shaved), and there was the crowd watching in awe and fascination, the video camera guy taping the whole ordeal and the still camera guy with the professional looking camera doing his bit of it too! All the while the red-dressed women were serving snacks (on red trays,) and of course in a corner was seated the infamous band in their decorated uniform doing their thing.
It’s a pity I don’t have my camera at this moment. If this is still going on then, I shall post some photos of this when I get the camera later today. Meanwhile, I’ll try my headphones.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Hahaa! Man, you're right in the heart of all the action eh?

rxs said...

i got my head shaved too. It was an easy job for the barber!

Simon: come by one day. we'll shave your head, blow the trumpets and do the whole Krishna gig.