Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Looking for a camera

I needed to buy a modest, good, non-unbranded yet cheap digital camera! Where do I go? I went to the shopping roads (where the happening is.) True enough I had seen digital cameras there earlier. There were the big names Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus. And there were those I didnt want: Vivitar, Mercury, many more!
A friend of mine had bought recently a Vivitar digital camera and I wasnt impressed: here's why
- bad display: too dim, not fine enough.
- menu's display like it was something of 1995 !
- images taken werent just good enough! some contrast fixing built-in technology (i think) fixes the contrast so much that light is too light and dark is too dark!
- ineffective flash! Gives a flood of light burning the closes object and making u think there were no objects except where the flash flooded.
There were a couple of plus points!
- It looked sleek.
- charges from USB connection
- reasonable amount of "on-board" storage (32 MB)

Having decided I wouldnt go for these, I chose to stick to a well known brand name: Canon, Sony, Nikon, Olympus. These were what I would look for. So off I went. Nikon Coolpix5600 was Good! I liked it! but the price wasnt in my range! I was looking for something within 200USD or just above. Nikon Coolpix5200? GOOD but still high on the price tag. Finally having admired Nikon coolpix range down to Coolpix 4600. I was happy with the price and functions. It even came in three colours Silver, Metallic Blue and Metalic Pink!
Some features I liked in it were:
- 4.1 mega pixels .. Not bad enough unless I am into publishing magazines and stuff which I wasnt.
- Nikkor lens.. 3 x Optical zoom and 4 x digital zoom. not bad eh?
- lightaround 4 lb i think (withough battery and extras)
- SD card slot
- naaaice looking! and fits palm grip
- 4cm Macro !!

I saw a Sony S90 and S60 too! S60 was in my price range! i had to make a choice between SOny and Nikon. Both were much the same in resolution and weight, no wait, Sony was a heavier, not many colours of covers! It had a Carl-Zeiss lens though! and 6x digital zoom. both cameras took videos.

The one factor that made me choose the Nikon Coolpix 4600 over the Sony S60 (yes i chose the Nikon,) is the macro! 4cm? thats cool enough isnt it!

Here are the two main websites I used to compare these two cameras after I returned from having looked at the cameras and before I went again to buy it!
For the Sony Cybershot S60 http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/specs/Sony/Cyber-shot%20DSC-S60.htm
and for the Nikon Coolpix 4600 http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/specs/Nikon/Coolpix%204600.htm


No comments: