Thursday, July 07, 2005

the camera IS here!

Finally I went for it! My mind was set on the Nikon Coolpix 4600! I had read the specs and was impressed, as I said in my previous post with the 4cm macro, as well as the a/v recordablity!
Went to the shop who offered the camera the previous day for 16,500 rupees (236 USD)! The guy didnt have Nikon4600! I was totally depressed for a second. He insisted I buy the Nikon Coolpix5600 and was offering it for 18,000Rps (257USD.) He said the difference was mainly the 5.1 megapixel feature and that the video was with audio! We had a score about even 4600 having audio. But I was disproved when he showed me the common manual for 4600&5600: Only the 5600 had audio. However, I said I couldnt afford it and walked out. There was no reducing the price.
The next shop didnt have it either (the 4600.) But asked me to buy 4200 saying it was the same! I slashed back madly at them saying if they were the same the manufacturere would put the same model number! Madness!
On my fifth attempt I finally came to a shop that had Nikon5600. Actually they didnt have it but the guy in the shop called up a place and talked in a funny language and said the camera was on its way! Meanwhile he was persuading me to buy the 5200 as it was more within my budget! The guy was right! The 5600 was in his shop within 4 minutes! I compared the two (5200 and 5600) as by now 4600 was out of my list cos it didnt have audio on the video clips. The guy said he couldnt come down further than 18,000 on the price and walked on to another customer! This was his mistake! I quickly asked the next salesperson to give it for 16000! He said no way! The lowest he can give is for 17500 Rps (250USD - my ceiling figure, and a figure 1000 Rupees more than I had in mind aprior) and he held on to that number! Finally I gave an 18000 and he asked the other guy (whom I was dealing with before and who I gathered was the boss there,) to give 500 rupees change. This is where it triggered! the boss-guy got real mad! They argued secretly with their backs to me and a little distance away from me, in their strange language. Me with my wanna-be-superman attitude, let my ear their way and overheard them and understood a couple of word. Apparantly they had brought the camera from another shop and costed them 17800 rupees and now they were selling me at a 300 rps loss! the salemen their need some training in salemanship. The boss-guy asked me the minimun was 17800 and cant reduce further, but ofcourse I said the deal was already done for 17500! And so it was! Now I am happy. The Nikon Coolpix 5600 was in my hands. This is a swell of a camera. Not the digital camera of my dreams which is nothing short of, nothing lower in specs than the Canon EOS series.
Links:
Nikon Coolpix 4600/5600 information brochure
Nikon Coolpix 4600
Nikon Coolpix 5600


No comments: