Sunday, June 18, 2006

ethics: dead ppl thrown off a cart

Playing soccer on Saturdays was good. This particular Saturday, a few months back, we were playing in the make-shift grounds within the campus of the Medicine Department of the Teaching Hospital. It was just another fun-filled, goal-filled, breathless and tiring soccer match! Until… Until a cart with its top about half the size of plywood rolled on by. Their were two people in what looked like operation theater dresses and wearing face masks, gloves and Wellington boots, pulling the cart. The top of the card were covered with green cloth. I knew almost instantly that there were dead bodies underneath it probably of those who were killed during the fights the night before (I read in the papers.) Indeed they were bodies! There were legs jutting out. Thick black legs! I didn’t know Nepali’s were this black! Later I was told that after sometime of death it can turn to this color, I don’t know! I stopped playing, partly because I respected the dead, and partly because I was shocked. Although this path is inside the hospital, it is a path taken by so many people entering the hospital, and here were dead bodies just being taken on carts! That was a bit difficult for me to grasp. The cart moved into the empty area on the other side of the road opposite the playground.

We started playing but my eyes remained fixed on the card and its deliverables! I thought they were being taken to some holding or for incineration! The cart stopped inside the empty area. Meanwhile, although I hadn’t noticed, there were people inside there who had dug out the earth. The view that came next was most shocking and inhumane. The green cloth was taken off. There were three stiff still bodies laid across the small cart! One fellow in the mask held the legs of one dead body, lifted it and threw it off like holding the two handles of a wheelbarrow and emptying the dead leaves into a pit! Dump, went the other two too! I can’t imagine these people had any feelings! These were human bodies, not dead twigs!

My GOD! I was so disgusted and so sad. I couldn’t play any longer. I was too disturbed.

I was a bit amazed too ‘cos I hadn’t know before that dead bodies got so stiff that the entire body could be lifted by holding on one end much like a piece of log.

I asked the fellow “medicine” friends there whether this ill-treatment was normal. They said that dead bodies weren’t treated well at all. Their explanation: “why wud they treat dead people nicely when they kill them brutally in the first place.” I learnt that these bodies had come out of forensics and were indeed victims of the fight the night before. Forensics people cannot be brutal, can they? One of the students said and another concurred that their first ‘forensic ethics’ hands-on lesion started with the teacher making an incision on the chest and when the class ended, the incisions made by the ethics teacher on the dead body read “M A N”

How disgusting is that!! It’s a disgrace to the name “teacher” and moreover to mankind!

I can still see in my mind, the dead bodies being thrown off the cart.

8 comments:

M said...

I see dead people!

By the way, let me reiterate my original theory about the missing link in evolution and its existence there. Do you still need more proof?

It is a land where cows are worshipped, daughters are married off to trees and humans get categorised between their god's saliva to excreta from his ass. What the hell made you think there was any humanity left around there?

p.s. it is a very beautiful country and its people are very friendly and very kind. hmm.

Anonymous said...

Med students always "concur" each other. One med will make a statement like "i need to bog" .. and everyone will concur in unison.

Anyway, ethics or not without carcases there wouldn't be advancement of medicine.

Now, all med students can concur.

M said...

Simon, I concur you on that.

I think Iraq also has a potential for med students. Especially those keen in forensics.

wad said...

There you go;

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/korn/deadbodieseverywhere.html

Unknown said...

HAPPY BLOGGY B'DAY!! :)

Dancing in the Rain said...

Hi,I came across ur blog while actually searching for a dhivehi recipe.:)one blog led to another u can say.
Such a traumatizing incident.
I like ur blog.
Surf through mine sometime.

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Reminds me the stories of how life was during the plague...

People are nice to dead bodies and other people as long as its convenient for them, as long it doesnt trouble them too much. But with enough dead bodies around, people get the same treatment in most of the under staffed, under privileged societies... innit?

So what really is the medical student's "ethics" on handling dead bodies?

moyameehaa said...

:0